There’s so much to say about this from soo many different perspectives but let’s start with number one!
1. Kieren was gifted a two-stringed cigar box guitar, and knew straight away we were going to make some kind of track with it. This is that track! Percussion, bass and lead lines all from this box.
2. Apparently, we wrote a protest song, which wasn’t the intention when we started jamming with it, but you know.. these things happen.
3. It turned into some weird orchestral production behemoth where adding reversed, reverbed trumpets seemed like the only logical option.
4. Originally this was called “This Is How The War Starts” and that got turned around into something more positive by two people – Amanda Palmer and Damian Keyes – Musician & Band Advice. We started this track around the time Trump got elected and social media was having a meltdown, I remember seeing a post from AP about “this being the time to make positive art” and I kind of took that to heart. On the same day DK posted a video about Trump and it reflecting badly on bands social media pages and I decided then this was going to be a positive song.
5. We wanted to make something awesome with this in both the audio and visual spectra and we hope we have done that. Soo many hours this week have been poured into this piece so we really hope you like it!
If you could see your way to sharing, commenting, sending this to friends that would be awesome of you, and as always the obligatory plug of our YouTube – http://youtube.com/boxtaperocksyou if you wanted to subscribe.
(Video filmed at Devil’s Dyke, Brighton. Recording, editing, production, and everything video-y by Boxtape with some help from Sarah-Kye Faulkner)
This one has been a long time in the making and we’re really proud to finally share it with you. Here it is – The Greatest!
It’s the first track we’ve recorded and produced with a “studio” approach, and the first non-live video we’ve put together ourselves. A new challenge and we are really happy with the feel of it!
The song is an alternative pop track about Apollo Creed – and Kat’s love for him. It has an interesting structure, and you can check out the behind-the-scenes “making of” video on our YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/boxtaperocksyou).
Surprise! Those lovely people over at Grrrls With Guitars are premiering our official music video for Fancy Objects today!! If you want to see it before we officially release it tomorrow, head over to their site
Today is the day everybody, Fancy Objects is released!! Woohoo!
You’ll find it on Itunes, Spotify, Deezer, and every other place. We’ve also set up a Bandcamp where you can stream the song and support us if you wish
If you like the track please consider downloading it from whichever provider you prefer, it really helps us out.
Thank you for all your support thus far, it’s really cool to have you on board. If you have any thoughts / feedback about the song please get in touch via email@example.com, we’d love to know what you like / don’t like so we can start planning the next one.
P.S something related arrived in our inbox last night and boy was it fabulous, we absolutely cannot wait to share this with you…..
So we’ve been super secret about this (unless you’ve been following our Twitter) but last weekend we were in the studio recording our first single. Boom!
Excited, yes, sounding awesome, yes.
We spent Saturday / Sunday at a delightful little studio in Brighton called Small Pond. Tracking guitars, vocals and working on the arrangement, as well as the fun stuff of mixing and playing around with silly gear; plus adding the all important fairy sparkle.
Huge thanks to George Mckenzie for engineering / producing it, I think it surpassed both our expectations of what it could become.
If you’re on our mailing list, Good news! You’ll be getting ‘Fancy Objects’ for free before release date (which is still tbc) if you’re not, what are you waiting for? SIGN UP HERE